Car detailing is often confused with simple car washing; but they’re very different tasks and processes. Auto detailing is like fine artwork—it requires a high level of skill that is acquired over time. That’s why it’s important to find an auto detailing shop you can trust with an excellent reputation. If you’re not sure what the difference is between a regular car wash and an auto detail job, this article will clarify a bit. We’ll go over the basic procedures you can expect from an auto detail, the benefits of ongoing detailing, and where you can find reliable services.
The Basics You Can Expect From a Car Detail Job
Auto detailing is an art that requires expertise and, of course, attention to detail. Depending on the detail shop, services vary quite a bit; however, there are some basic tasks you can expect to be included in a car detail job. Overall, a car detailing is a cleaning and restoring of the interior and exterior condition of the car using special products and materials not typically found at your average car wash. A car wash only surface cleans the inside and outside of your car, whereas a detailing is meant to make the car look fit for a car show or a display where every last inch of the car is observed.
The Benefits of Car Detailing
There are many benefits of car detailing, and perhaps the most obvious one is the elevated luxury and comfort you feel when you get into the car. However, routine car detailing can provide drivers with significant benefits over time. When your car’s interior and exterior are kept in optimal condition, the value of the car is held much better. Just imagine going to see two of the same car, where one has been detailed regularly over the years—the difference would be noticeable. Besides retaining your car’s value, detailing also contributes to your car’s longevity. Over time paint can chip or corrode, and the interior can fade, scratch, or crack; detailing can prevent and restore the exterior and interior, helping your car to last much longer.
A Step-By-Step Account
If you’re not sure what to expect from an auto detailing job, here is a brief step-by-step account of generally what occurs in the process of detailing:
Basic vacuuming and stain removal, leather treatments, and plastic dressing to restore shine.
- Extensive vacuuming and cleaning/shampooing of interior cloth or leather seating, any upholstery, and between tight spaces and cracks
- Polishing and protective coating for all trim, leather, vinyl, or plastic.
- Finishing touches on all interior mirrors or glass
Eliminating any dirt and/or fine scratches or circular markings from poor wash jobs.
- Washing, buffing, polishing, clay treatments, waxing, and shine coat,
- Extensive washing of vehicle exterior to get all the dirt and grime off
- Detailed washing of wheels
- Once the car is dried, experts apply a clay treatment to further remove some of the tougher dirt and grime
- Polishing, if necessary or requested—restores the car’s exterior paintwork to original shine
- Lastly, the whole car gets a wax treatment to protect the shine
- Every last detail of trim and window shine is taken care of to complete the entire look of shine and perfection
Some clients like to have the components under the hood cleaned as well—this is called an engine bay cleaning. This may be helpful if your car is entering a car show, if it will be on display, or if you plan on selling it in the near future. Also, automotive technicians enjoy working on clean engines because they’re easier to diagnose and treat.
How We Can Help You
As you can see, auto detailing is an in-depth procedure hat takes patience and skill. Here at Conejo Auto Window Tinting & Detail, we’ve helped drivers from all over Thousand Oaks, Westlake, Agoura Hills, Camarillo, Simi Valley, and Newbury Park, CA, with their auto detailing services since 1989. If you’d like to learn more about our auto detailing process, options, or pricing, please call one of our helpful professionals directly.